[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:46:48 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Ronen Angluster <beerholder at gmail.com> wrote:
> i can't use Moose cause of legal & corporate issues. lets not dwell on this,
> its a life fact
> and we came to peace with it.

Does the  corporate policy forbid anything from CPAN or only Moose?

Would you be able to use 5.14 if it came out tomorrow with "real classes"?

> unit testing will take us a long way, but not long enough.
> a major chunk of our code rely on the output of other components which at
> times cannot be covered
> in a unit test. so we're left with some of the code checked, while some use
> cases might slip
> the coder & reviewer's keen eyesight and pop like mushrooms on a dung heap
> at a customer's site...
> not a pleasant thought...

I don't think the Perl community can help overcoming corporate policy
and lack of testing.

Have you proposed to management to invest in tools that will help solving
some of the issues you have?