[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Ronen Angluster beerholder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 07:26:42 PST 2010

the biggest pain i get from perl is the lack of "real" object oriented in
perl
(Im referring to pure perl, i cannot use Moose and the likes)
the whole references thing looks like a dirty hack that came into place in
order to satisfy critics...
basicly, the problem is that you can do whatever you want, multiply
inheritences, no private or public devision of methods
no prototyping... and worst of all, no real check for references in compile
time, for example:
lets say i have $object:
*my $object = Some::Class->new(directive1 => $value1);*
if i'll call
*$object->some_,method_that_does_not_exist();*
the only way i'll find out about the problem is in run time!!!!

we're working with on a HUGE OO perl project here, got to a
few hundred classes already,
but i cannot verify that everything is written correctly without preforming
a full run on the system.
thats simply insane.

--
Ronen