[Israel.pm] What hurts you most in Perl?

Shmuel Fomberg owner at semuel.co.il
Tue Nov 23 07:24:34 PST 2010

Hi Gabor.

>  1) Threads do not work well - they are better in Python and in Java.

I agree that Thread are better in Java and C#. These languages were
designed from the start with threads in mind, and they are certainly
good at that.
But Python? Python have its own share of problems with threads,
resulting in several competing incomplete solutions. I am not up to date
with their state of art, but last I checked, their standard way had a
'global interpreter lock', that means that only one thread can run in
any moment. so these threads are more or less equal to the Coro module
in Perl.

And yes, you need to have some expertise when dealing with threads in
Perl - been there done that.

>  2) Using signals and signal handlers regularly crashes perl.

It is? wasn't it fixed in Perl 5.8 with their safe-signaling?

>  So I wonder what hurts *you* the most in Perl?

I too think that the threads implementation lacks, should have been more
robust, and actually consider objects in its design.

Oh well.
Shmuel.