[Israel.pm] Perl Ecosystem Group

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 01:07:27 PST 2010

hi,

those who follow my blog http://szabgab.com/ or
the IronMan http://ironman.enlightenedperl.org/
aggregator might have already read about the
Perl Ecosystem Group.
To the others, let me introduce it.

The idea is that I'd like to get companies using Perl to
give something back to the community. After all they have
been enjoying the fruits of the labor of many open source
developers.

There are a few companies that already give a lot to
the community but I'd like to widen the range of the
companies. The objective is that within two years to have at
least 50 companies supporting us.
They could give back by allocating developer time to work
on open source projects but in many cases it will be
easier for them to just give some money.

While there are a few who would be ready to give money
(sometimes in addition to the developer time) without extra
service most of them will need to get something more in return.
So we are trying to offer various things to our sponsors.

For example we offer to improve their name recognition
among the Perl developers. This will make it easier for
them to hire good developers when the time comes.

We will of course invest a lot in promoting *modern* Perl
to the  potential developers

For the small companies we offer to help to
get their name out to a wider audience. Thereby
helping them getting more clients.

If you visit our web site http://perl-ecosystem.org/
you will see that we already have 5 members.
Among the members, there are two from Israel.

Uri Bruck and Raz Information System of Oded Resnik.

I'd like to thank them a lot for becoming members so quickly.
I think this will help other companies to realize they should also
be part of the Perl Ecosystem Group.

So if you are an SMB, a consultant of freelancer working
with Perl. What will it take to get you also sign up?

If you are employed by a company using a lot of Perl.
What could convince them to become part of the
Perl Ecosystem Group?

If you have any question, just ask. I hope I'll have some answers.

regards

Gabor Szabo                     http://szabgab.com/
Perl Ecosystem Group       http://perl-ecosystem.org/