[Israel.pm] The state of the onion in Israel

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:19:15 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Antony Gelberg
<antony.gelberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get a handle on the state of Perl in Israel.  I'm
> currently working on a Catalyst project, and management is pushing for a
> change of platform as it is so hard to get good developers.  I'm trying
> to convince them to use what I believe is the best tool for the job, but
> with nobody to do the work it's not happening...

Does management expect to magically find *good* developers just
by switching platform? Did you ask them where do they expect to find
*available* and *cheap* developers in other technologies?

Sure there are a lot more PHP, Java and .NET developers out there
and probably a lot less people with extensive Python or Ruby experience
than Perl.

The large number of developers in the former group comes with a large
number of people who don't really know how to create an application.

> What do I mean by good?  Here's a start, although there's probably more:
> o Understands Modern Perl concepts e.g Catalyst, DBIx::Class, Moose.
> o Understands general OOP and design patterns especially MVC.
> o Is reliable.
> o Able to give most, if not all of their time to the project.

Your requirements are high. Maybe a better approach is looking for
a good developer who will be able to pick up these technologies
during the first few weeks.

> Is there anyone out there who fits the bill?  We're looking to hire.  We
> may not have the biggest budget in the world, being a startup, but it's
> a great place to work, others can vouch for it.

Where have you advertised this job? On this list? On http://jobs.perl.org/
which is reflected on http://jobs.perl.org.il/ as well? On LinkedIN ?
On linux-il? On CJI?

Or did you just say your company expects to hire a very good
and experienced developers but does not want to pay enough?

> It feels like there are about 50 Perl devs in Israel, and about 5 of
> those fit the bill.  What are the statistics?  I read the archives for
> this list and there are about ten regular posters.  Did I miss something?

On this list there are about 200 registered addresses. most of them from Israel.

On the last Rehovot.pm meeting there were I think 7 or 9 people
brought by Dotan. (thanks !)
They have Perl experience ranging from a few up to 10 years.
AFAIK none of them is registered on this list, they never came to any of our
meetings nor did they have any interaction with the Perl community in Israel.

There are many other such teams around the country but I am not sure
how to reach them.

Have you or your company invested in promoting the job and the company
to potential developers? Look at Booking.com They are investing a lot
of energy and money in finding more Perl developers.

I don't think it is easy to find good Perl developers and we - all the
parties interested
in it - will have to invest a lot of energy to improve the situation
but this will only
happen if all the parties put something on the table.

regards

Gabor Szabo
http://szabgab.com/
http://perl-ecosystem.org/