[Israel.pm] The state of the onion in Israel

Antony Gelberg antony.gelberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 06:50:45 PST 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a handle on the state of Perl in Israel.  I'm
currently working on a Catalyst project, and management is pushing for a
change of platform as it is so hard to get good developers.  I'm trying
to convince them to use what I believe is the best tool for the job, but
with nobody to do the work it's not happening...

What do I mean by good?  Here's a start, although there's probably more:
o Understands Modern Perl concepts e.g Catalyst, DBIx::Class, Moose.
o Understands general OOP and design patterns especially MVC.
o Is reliable.
o Able to give most, if not all of their time to the project.

Is there anyone out there who fits the bill?  We're looking to hire.  We
may not have the biggest budget in the world, being a startup, but it's
a great place to work, others can vouch for it.

It feels like there are about 50 Perl devs in Israel, and about 5 of
those fit the bill.  What are the statistics?  I read the archives for
this list and there are about ten regular posters.  Did I miss something?

Please spread this email far and wide, if you are interested in joining
us or have any general thoughts, please drop me an email (or to the
mailing list as appropriate).

Antony