[Israel.pm] CPAN module for testing a win32 CLI with MySQL

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu May 6 01:23:00 PDT 2010

Hi Adam,

On Thursday 06 May 2010 10:08:43 Adam BE wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a High-level/wrapper CPAN module which can run
> a Windows command and test that it changes the relevant info in the MySQL.
> Something like this:
>
> $Test_cmd->($parameters, $SQL_query, $expected_MySQL_result)
>
> Where $expected_SQL_result might be a regex...
>
> I thought of a combination of Test::Cmd, Test::Simple and DBI...
> Anyone know of a nicer solution or a high-level CPAN module?

Well, Test::Simple is considered very simplistic and most people use at least
Test::More, if not Test::Most , Test::Class, etc. I'm still using Test::More,
but often with the help of some CPAN modules, or with defining my own test
assertions subroutines (using the
<< local $Test::Builder::Level = $Test::Builder::Level + 1; >> trick.).

Regarding DBI - there are several Object-Relational Mappers available on CPAN
that may make your life easier - for example:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBIx-Class/ (which I had a mostly positive
experience with). Just make sure you understand the mapping between that and
the SQL tables.

That's the most I can tell you about offhand without further research. Thanks
for the tip about Test-Cmd.