[Israel.pm] LWP and the Jewish/Hebrew question

Meir Guttman meir at guttman.co.il
Mon Jun 28 02:21:37 PDT 2010

Hey Hebrew processing folks!

The LWP (Lib WWW for Perl) package seems to be very unfriendly or even right
out hostile to Unicode, RTL text or just Hebrew.

There are many examples. For one: the HTML::TreeBuilder package ->Dump and
->as_HTML methods totally garble Hebrew UTF-8 text.

But let's start first with a very simple Cookie_jar case which I first
posted  <http://www.mail-archive.com/libwww@perl.org/msg06768.html> on the
Google site suggested by the LWP originator and maintainer Gisle Aas worked
fine:

use LWP::UserAgent;

use HTTP::Cookies;

my $jar = HTTP::Cookies->new(file => "lwp.jar", autosave => 1);

my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new(cookie_jar => $jar);

$ua->get("http://www.google.com")->dump;

And indeed, it fills the 'lwp.jar' file with a few entries.

But just changing the URL to http://www.magna.isa.gov.il
<http://www.magna.isa.gov.il/>  produced a cookie jar file with just a
comment headline and no entries at all.

As you might see for yourself, the MAGNA site does send a Set-Cookie:
ASP.NET_SessionId=ddkkv245c14tol45bgk35m45; path=/; HttpOnly line.

So, in the spirit of the last week's events, why is the Israeli site
discriminated against???

Meir