[Israel.pm] Importing variable

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Aug 31 03:03:29 PDT 2010

Hi Dov,

On Tuesday 31 August 2010 12:47:10 Levenglick Dov-RM07994 wrote:
> Hi,
> Although this is bound to be the oldest question in the book, how do I
> perform the C equivalent of #include "defines.h" in Perl 5.12
> I want to have a separate file that will define variables accessible to
> all parts of my script. If it makes the answer any easier, they can
> become environment variables (i.e. inserted into %ENV).

You can define package-scope variables using something like:

[code]
# Define a variable:

our $pi = 3.141592;
our $num_days_in_year = 365;

# And then wherever:

sub hello
{
	my $r = shift;

	print "You have a circle with a circumeference of ", (2 * $::pi * $r),
"\n";
}

[/code]

Even modules (that can be loaded using "use", "require", etc.) can define such
package scope variables.