[Israel.pm] Fwd: Some Notes from the Meeting

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 13:04:31 PDT 2010

Hey

Quick note...

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Subject: Some Notes from the Meeting
> Date: Thursday 22 Apr 2010, 16:43:18
> From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>
>
> #. Sawyer mentioned the fact that he believed that creating a branch in
> Subversion (using svn copy) was time-consuming for him ("I went to prepare
> coffee").

I didn't say I "believed that creating a branch...", I said "in my
experience". The difference is that "believe" means "I think it's
long, but I don't really know", and "in my experience" means "I tried
it and it did take me a long time".

> This sounds strange to me, because branching and tagging in
> Subversion are reportedly cheap, constant-time O(1) operations, and I've
> studied the Subversion architecture to verify it. I often branched the
> Freecell Solver's trunk which is 26M in size and it didn't take more than a
> few seconds. svn.kde.org has many branches and each of them keeps the entire
> KDE source code and is positively huge with 100s of mega-bytes of files.

You're on to me, I lied! I fabricated the whole "going to prepare
coffee" bit. In fact, it was so blindingly fast (as you demonstrate in
your comment) that I was surprised at its speed and held a grudge for
Subversion on this topic alone from that point on.

I then invented the whole coffee routine (I actually don't drink
coffee - ever, only tea) as a cover-up story in case someone calls up
on me when I trash Subversion in public.

nack.