[Israel.pm] Meeting in Haifa - April 21

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Apr 14 03:03:47 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 14 Apr 2010 12:00:43 sawyer x wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > Romanisation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization ) is an
> > imperialistic practice and we must not succumb to it. We should write the
> > date as "ז' באייר" using the Hebrew alphabet exclusively. ;-)
>
> You win best reply!

Yes, but I haven't finished yet. The contemporary names for the Hebrew months
are Pagan, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyar is:

<<<
(Hebrew: אִייָר‎ or אִיָּר, Standard Iyyar Tiberian ʾIyyār ; from Akkadian ayyaru,
meaning "Rosette; blossom"... The name is Babylonian in origin.

(And Tamuz is the name of a Phoenician god who is akin to the Egyptian
Ossiris.)

As a result, we should use the old Biblican numerical names of the months and
call "Iyar" "The Eighth month" if we start from Tishrey or "The Second Month"
if we start from Nissan and say that "Zayin in Iyar" is "Hayom hashvi3i
bahodesh hasheni" or "Hayom hashvi3i bahodesh hashmini.". ;-) (I'm using the
evil transliteration to Latin out of laziness but I'm consistently
inconsistent.)

And we should also revert to the old Phoenician / Kna'anite alphabet which was
originally used for writing Hebrew instead of the contemporary Hebrew alphabet
that is derived from the Aramaic transformation of it... (There are actually
characters in it in Unicode).

Oh well. At least there's some activity on the list.

> So I guess Gabor will have to give this talk at Rehovot.pm too. :)

He is also welcome to give it in the Tel Aviv Open Source club (which includes
TelAviv.pm ). To avoid bigotry we will coordinate everything using the Julian
day - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day . ;-)