[Israel.pm] Meeting in Haifa - April 21

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Apr 14 01:09:05 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 14 Apr 2010 10:55:02 sawyer x wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Erez Schatz <moonbuzz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/4/14 Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>:
> > > Hi Shmuel (and all),
> > >
> > > First of all, I should note that "April 21" is an Americanism which
> > > makes little sense and one should use "21 April" or "21st of April" in
> > > Commonwealth English or Israeli English.
> >
> > "April" and the entire Gregorian calendar are not-Hebrew and make
> > little sense. One should use "Zain in I'yar".
>
> Actually, if we're gonna nitpick...
> "Zain" and "I'yar" are hebrew words, but "in" is not. It's an
> Englishification of the sentence.
> You should write "Zain be'I'yar". :)

Romanisation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization ) is an
imperialistic practice and we must not succumb to it. We should write the date
as "ז' באייר" using the Hebrew alphabet exclusively. ;-)

(Hope this message gets through due to the UTF-8 encoding.).

Liberty, equality, and brotherhood,