[Israel.pm] a Perl-based solution for publishing an online magazine

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Fri Sep 11 04:13:58 PDT 2009

On 10 Sep 2009 13:36:56 +0300, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> A few people in the Hebrew University want to create a monthly
> magazine devoted to Spain and Latin America - their languages and
> culture. As i study Catalan, they invited me to participate in it. I
> also offered them my help with the technical side - setting up the
> website etc.
>
> Can anyone here recommend a Perl-based solution for publishing an
> online magazine? I can probably find something PHP-based quite easily,
> but since i love Perl, i would be curious to finally learn some
> Perl-based web package such as Catalyst. I am looking for something
> that is more a magazine than a blog, if it's relevant in any way. And
> of course it must support Hebrew, RTL and Unicode.

I may suggest to try several CMS-es and choose the best for you.

You may want to try Podius. If you love Perl you may love it too.
Everything in it (including configurations) is perl-based. And it is
similar to Perl in that it is possible to start with it earlier for
simple projects (after the initial push) and then discover new amazing
solutions every day.

Podius is developed in Israel, so it has no problem with Hebrew (or
Spanish for this reason).

If you are interested I may point you to a podius-based project that is
done in several languages (English, Hebrew, Russian) or another project
(English, French, Spanish). There is a simple solution for RTL in web
pages; you should only set "direction: rtl;" in css or dir="rtl" in html.
Our workers solve it by translating string "ltr" to "rtl" in Hebrew (the
user preferred language is determined by browser-suplied hints, so the
web pages are identical for all languages.

It is highly recommended to use utf-8 for storing textual data to cover
all languages, but if you need one language and insist on windows-1255 or
any other specific encoding, it is possible to keep podius data in it,
this is supported.

The problem with podius is that it was not advertised in the past (I
prefer to stick to its development and not popularising, and have no
much time to provide support), so it is not very well known even among
the members of this list, although I gave several presentation about it
some time ago.

In any case, creating a good dynamical web project is always a
non-trivial work. But with some tools it may be more fun. Good luck.

Regards,
Mikhael.