[Israel.pm] Informal poll: Why are you (or your company) still using an older version of Perl?

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Fri Oct 30 07:49:11 PDT 2009

i have a different question: why do you care?

there are reasons for people to use the older software for any software
X you'll mention - you operating systems, office suites, programming
languages/compilers, external libraries etc. etc. etc.

what is the point of pushing people? this sounds like the method of
commercial companies - they want to sell the upgrades. what do you want
to sell - course-grades?

the basic idea of open source is to give the power to the users -
including the power to stay with an older version of software if and
when they see fit.

if there was an assured (QA-wise) upgrade process that never broke
things and was trusted by people - people might have considered these
upgrades with a more favore. as long as this process has its cons -
you'll have people that will simply refuse to upgrade until they have no
choice - and sometimes even then.

--guy