[Israel.pm] Informal poll: Why are you (or your company) still using an older version of Perl?

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Tue Oct 27 09:30:02 PDT 2009

Some arguments and attitudes I've witnessed:

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2. Something might break in the Perl code we depend on.
3. Even if nothing breaks per se, upgrading the dependencies in order
is a pain (CPAN is not seamless).
4. During the upgrade we'll discover that one of our dependencies has
made an incompatible API change, and we are unwilling to modify code
(which itself we might not be the owners of) to keep things working.

#4 is a big problem. Often somebody in the chain will say, "the new
way is better", and then you're stuck having to maintain some client
code you don't know.

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/