[Israel.pm] File::Find::Recursive

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Oct 21 06:30:28 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 Oct 2009 10:34:12 Levenglick Dov-RM07994 wrote:
> Hi,
> I wrote a module (File::Find::Recursive) that is supposed to search for
>  files matching match criteria and not matching ignore criteria in folders
>  with match and ignore criteria. It'll call callback functions for matching
>  files.
>
> I wrote it as a complimentary to File::Find::Rule which I found to be too
>  ambiguous.
>
> Any input is welcome. I will upload to CPAN as soon as the discussion
>  (hopefully) winds down and the namespace is granted.
>
> The module can be viewed at: http://pastebin.com/m7cfc397a

Well, first of all, I should note that pastebin.com does not syntax-highlight
this file correctly, which makes it hard to read. Here are some notes:

1. You have "use strict;" but don't seem to have "use warnings;". Do you
expect this module to work on perl-5.005 and below?

2. I see you have created File::Find::Simple -a simple alternative to
File::Find. Why are you unhappy from:

* http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/projects/File-Find-Object/

Or possibly:

* http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Next/

(Which still has some of File-Find's philosophical limitations like being
unable to be instantiated.).

Naturally, one should note that F-F-O is a project I took over from its
originator (Nanardon) and did most of my work on lately (and blogged about
it). Lately, I've started working on File-Find-Object-Rule (a fork of File-
Find-Rule to adapt it to File-Find-Object, which required quite a few changes
and broke the external interface) and porting some of F-F-R's plugins to it.

3. According to PBP - all functions should have an explicit return at the end.

4. You seem to mix tabs and spaces inconsistently.

5. <<<< my ($self, $attr, @val) = @_; >>>> - @val is better passed as an array
ref (though it's a topic of much heated debate). PBP seems to agree with me on
it.

6. You seem to also invent another attribute module. Why can't you use
Class-XSAccessor , Moose or possibly even Class-Accessor?

7. You have:

<<<<
next if grep /$file/, @{$self->{"_IGNORE_FILE_PATTERN"}};

Shouldn't you use a hash here instead, or at least \Q and \E ? This code
smells of regex code injection (similar to SQL injection and XSS/HTML-
injection).

That's all I could find for now.