[Israel.pm] Good bidi unicode editor?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Oct 21 03:58:07 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 20 Oct 2009 21:01:40 Shmuel Fomberg wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I'm trying to write a XML that contain mixed Hebrew and English.
> Can anyone recommend of an editor that is not pain to use?

On Linux, I like KDE 4's Kate (the so-called "KDE Advanced Text Editor"):

http://kate-editor.org/

It's not perfect and I think it may also sometimes not scale very well to
large documents (as opposed to gvim which handles them much better). It also
seems much less capable than vim/gvim, though I admit I didn't take the time
to learn it properly, possibly out of lack of motivation (because I'm usually
using gvim).

Note that I'm not sure KDE 4 apps are very stable on Windows, yet, but you can
always try using it under a virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.) , using
it using remote X or rdesktop, etc. You didn't say which operating system you
are working on, and which editors you have tried so far.

See also:

http://hamakor.org.il/pipermail/python-il/2009-June/000412.html

(that's why it's a good idea to be subscribed to other local FOSS mailing
lists).