[Israel.pm] A bit about Python

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 02:21:48 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Avishalom Shalit <avishalom at gmail.com> wrote:

> oops.
> i see that my previous comments were not accepted to the list (gmail's
> default "rich formatting)

oops - hit the same gotcha.
I really ought to read the messages I reply to more carefully ;-)

> --------
> [deleted, CPAN...]
>
> to add, backward compatibility is not good

Did not notice any particular problem since 2.2. The method seems to
work fine: usually you have new features supported in 2.n-1 through
the __future__ mechanism + warnings about deprecations. Potential
breakages are normally phased in gradually (or just moved to the 3
line), and you get enough warnings if you do not leap too many
versions in a single upgrade.
However, I can't compare because I do not know the perl system well
enough. Do you have similiar/better mechanisms?

> e.g. numpy works under python 2.4 and 2.5 (not perfect, last i tried)
> but not under 2.6 (last i tried and gave up.) and certainly not under
> 3.
> maybe it now does, but i gave up

Huh? I work with numpy on 2.6 daily. No problem.
On Debian/Ubuntu this was just the normal apt-get dance. Windows: I
normally recommend enthought-python which comes with numpy (and much
more) included, also 2.6 nowadays. At work (SL: a Redhat 5 clone) I
use a manually installed python2.6 + all packages through easy_install
(that's the commandline of setuptools, the CPAN-clone thingy). There's
some annoying warning in matplotlib there (deprecation warning for the
sets module) but otherwise works fine.
When did you last try and what were your problems exactly (you can
reply in person / in the python-IL list if it gets too technical).
Do not know about 3.

btw, does PDL work with perl6 (I'll probably find out today in Rehovot
anyway :-))?

> a new version of the language breaking the modules is very frustrating.

Agreed, but did not notice such problems.

[Removed: syntax stuff]

    AA