[Israel.pm] Rehovot Perl Mongers - first meeting on 17 November - looking for speaker

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 03:23:08 PST 2009

Thanks to Dr Jaime Prilusky we are going to have a fixed place for monthly
meetings in the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.

As this is not in the area where the Israel.pm people used to meet I think the
best is to consider this the meetings of Rehovot.pm and keep searching
for a place in Tel Aviv+ area for the other group.

The Rehovot.pm group is a generic Perl Monger group but I see two  main areas
where this group could be especially active. One of them is PDL (a
Matlab replacement)
the other is Bioperl.

Objective: Build a community of people using Perl to help each other,
learn new subjects
                 and develop open source software.

First meeting:

Date:        Tuesday November 17, 2009 from 18:00-22:00

Location:   Room 101 in the Levine Building (number 30 on the map at
                 http://www.weizmann.ac.il/maps/campus3.gif and
                 The Weizmann Institute is a few minutes walk from the Rehovot
                 train station, shown in the maps.

Content: I'd like to have a short presentation about Matlab and about PDL and
               how it relates to Matlab. (Up to 1 hour)
               Then I'd like to have 2-3 hours of pair-programming and
               writing. The idea is that I'd like to create documents
and sample scripts
               for people who know Matlab and would like to learn how
to use PDL.
              PDL: http://pdl.perl.org/
              Matlab: http://www.mathworks.com/

So I am looking for people who would like to give a short presentation
on either subject!

For who?
                I think both Matlab users without Perl experience and
Perl programmers without
                Matlab experience will be able to learn and contribute.

Fee:        Entrance is free of charge.

RSVP:     If you are planning to come to the meeting please send me an
e-mail so I'll
              have a rough estimate of the number of people.

PR:         Please forward this message to people in companies and
              institutes  that could be interested

Question: if you have any questions, please ask it on the mailing list.