[Israel.pm] Rehovot Perl Mongers - first meeting on 17 November - looking for speaker

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 03:23:08 PST 2009

Thanks to Dr Jaime Prilusky we are going to have a fixed place for monthly
meetings in the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.

As this is not in the area where the Israel.pm people used to meet I think the
best is to consider this the meetings of Rehovot.pm and keep searching
for a place in Tel Aviv+ area for the other group.

The Rehovot.pm group is a generic Perl Monger group but I see two  main areas
where this group could be especially active. One of them is PDL (a
Matlab replacement)
the other is Bioperl.

Objective: Build a community of people using Perl to help each other,
learn new subjects
                 and develop open source software.

First meeting:

Date:        Tuesday November 17, 2009 from 18:00-22:00

Location:   Room 101 in the Levine Building (number 30 on the map at
                 http://www.weizmann.ac.il/maps/campus3.gif and
                 http://www.weizmann.ac.il/maps/all_campus.pdf)
                 The Weizmann Institute is a few minutes walk from the Rehovot
                 train station, shown in the maps.

Content: I'd like to have a short presentation about Matlab and about PDL and
               how it relates to Matlab. (Up to 1 hour)
               Then I'd like to have 2-3 hours of pair-programming and
documentation
               writing. The idea is that I'd like to create documents
and sample scripts
               for people who know Matlab and would like to learn how
to use PDL.
              PDL: http://pdl.perl.org/
              Matlab: http://www.mathworks.com/

So I am looking for people who would like to give a short presentation
on either subject!

For who?
                I think both Matlab users without Perl experience and
Perl programmers without
                Matlab experience will be able to learn and contribute.

Fee:        Entrance is free of charge.

RSVP:     If you are planning to come to the meeting please send me an
e-mail so I'll
              have a rough estimate of the number of people.

PR:         Please forward this message to people in companies and
higher-educational
              institutes  that could be interested

Question: if you have any questions, please ask it on the mailing list.

regards