[Israel.pm] Number of Indentation Levels in Ruby and Perl

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Sat May 30 12:43:26 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 19:23 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 30 May 2009 19:42:43 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >
> > My question is: can anyone explain why are 4-ws-increments good enough
> > in Perl, C, and other languages, but they tend to be insufficient in
> > Ruby code?
[... snipped ...]
> Really, I don't see a point in your question. There are no such rules as
> you presented. I successfully use Tabs for indentation in Perl, C, Python
> and Ruby. You can view such code using 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 spaces per tab.
> And as for the compactness of the code, it highly depends on a developer.

The question is not really about number of spaces per indentation level.
It is about the average number of indentation levels actually used in
code written in a specific language.

Shlomi Fish observed that Ruby scripts use much more indentation levels
than scripts and programs written in other languages.  The question if
and why it is so is valid and I am interested in answers to the
question.

Anyone who develops software in LISP or Scheme - please add input to
comparison of indentation levels in those languages relative to the
languages mentioned by Shlomi and Mikhael.

                                               --- Omer

--
"Kosher" Cellphones (cellphones with blocked SMS, video and Internet)
are menace to the deaf.  They must be outlawed!

I may be affiliated in any way.