[Israel.pm] Fwd: [Telux] Next Meeting: "High-Level Programming Concepts Using Perl 6" on 22-March

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Sat Mar 14 13:40:50 PDT 2009

On 14 Mar 2009 19:20:05 +0200, Evgeny wrote:

> Actually, in ruby I can have a method that accepts multiple blocks.
> Blocks don't HAVE to come as the last argument.
>   def (&first_block, &second_block)
> will work as well.

The same syntax works in Perl. We just spoke about DSL (syntactic sugar).

Moreover, in Perl you can pass any number of anonymous functions
(closures) defined inline, something that is for example impossible in
Python by design.

  run(sub { do something; do well }, sub { do something else });

> But in perl, I tried to do the same - by replacing sm(&$) to be sm($&)
> - but it does not work. So does that mean that in perl I can't have
> the block where ever I want, and pass it as the last argument? Why?

Nope, this is incorrect. I demonstrated this in the previous message:

  Given /regular-expression-here/, sub { some code here };

This works too (no need for parentheses if you specify prototypes):

  run $first_arg, sub { "second" }, 3, sub { "forth" };

Regards,
Mikhael.