[Israel.pm] What advantage would Perl give to a University student?

Avishalom Shalit avishalom at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:29:32 PDT 2009

to cover a different benefit.
perl as a sysadmin/scripting tool is very useful.

I have often found myself preformatting data files (for example to be
used in matlab) with perl.
i may have been able to do this with awk, but i am not fluent in awk.

i stay away from shell scripting because it is hard to debug, but i
have often written shell like functionality in perl. (renaming and
moving files based on some criteria)

also basic processing of really large files is easiest and fastest in perl .
files that wouldn't fit in the ram (to be processed with higher
languages like matlab) can be processed line by line in perl with
satisfactory speed.

---
interestingly, i remember that bio informatics students go into perl
at great detail. (for processing those great textfiles of genome
sequences. ) so perhaps you'd get more practical answers from them

2009/3/12 sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com>:
> I wouldn't necessarily file this under "things ONLY Perl would benefit
> a university student" but I would count it on "things Perl is very
> likely to benefit a university student".
>
> One of the things Eric wrote is that the students were not aware of a
> lot of programming paradigms and approaches that exist. This is true
> not only to my days of studying but also to every person I know that
> studied CS in university or college. They provide very little
> understanding of programming. I remember reading an article that was
> posted to Slashdot in which certain CS professors were against
> teaching Java in schools because the kids don't really learn
> programming. I'm not fluent enough in Java to know whether this is
> true or not, and that's now what I'm getting at. My point is that when
> you learn Perl, you inadvertently learn programming, structures,
> paradigms and programming approaches that prepare you for the
> $real_world. I don't know anyone who worked at $uni with software
> testing. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I would be surprised to
> hear it. Perl, however, teaches testing (not necessarily TDD) and
> documentation as an ongoing part of development. Perl::Critic provides
> very high programming standards that can benefit any person trying to
> be a great programmer.
>
> Thus, I think Perl (and any other programming language that mixes such
> standards and concepts) prepare a student to University in a way that
> they will probably understand most concepts raised there and be sharp
> and ready for them, if not know them already.
>
> So, that's not just Perl, but definitely Perl as well.
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> recently there was short discussion on use.perl
>> on "Bringing Perl to University".
>>
>> http://use.perl.org/~Eric+Wilhelm/journal/38612
>>
>> As response I asked there
>>
>> "What advantage would Perl give to a University student?"
>>
>> but have not received many responses.
>>
>> So I'd like to ask you guys. Do you see anything that knowing
>> Perl could give to the regular CS or Engineering student?
>>
>> Gabor
>>
>> --
>> Gabor Szabo                     http://szabgab.com/blog.html
>> Perl Training in Israel         http://www.pti.co.il/