[Israel.pm] What advantage would Perl give to a University student?

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 04:15:31 PDT 2009

I wouldn't necessarily file this under "things ONLY Perl would benefit
a university student" but I would count it on "things Perl is very
likely to benefit a university student".

One of the things Eric wrote is that the students were not aware of a
lot of programming paradigms and approaches that exist. This is true
not only to my days of studying but also to every person I know that
studied CS in university or college. They provide very little
understanding of programming. I remember reading an article that was
posted to Slashdot in which certain CS professors were against
teaching Java in schools because the kids don't really learn
programming. I'm not fluent enough in Java to know whether this is
true or not, and that's now what I'm getting at. My point is that when
you learn Perl, you inadvertently learn programming, structures,
paradigms and programming approaches that prepare you for the
$real_world. I don't know anyone who worked at $uni with software
testing. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I would be surprised to
hear it. Perl, however, teaches testing (not necessarily TDD) and
documentation as an ongoing part of development. Perl::Critic provides
very high programming standards that can benefit any person trying to
be a great programmer.

Thus, I think Perl (and any other programming language that mixes such
standards and concepts) prepare a student to University in a way that
they will probably understand most concepts raised there and be sharp
and ready for them, if not know them already.

So, that's not just Perl, but definitely Perl as well.