[Israel.pm] Why does configuring perl-5.10.0 with "-de -Dusedevel" makes it so much slower?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Mar 10 21:39:26 PDT 2009

Hi all!

In a new under-privileged user-account, I built perl-5.10.0 (from the cpan.org
tar.gz without any patches) with:

{{{{
sh Configure -de -Dprefix=$HOME/apps/perl/maintperl -Dusedevel
}}}}

Now I noticed that this perl is much slower than the one that ships on my
Mandriva Linux Cooker system.

1. CPANPLUS takes forever to install modules.

2. 'make test'ing URI-Fetch ( http://search.cpan.org/dist/URI-Fetch/ ) causes
t/01-fetch.t to fail due to timings, while 'make test' there using
/usr/bin/perl works perfectly fine.

Have I cargo-culted (or carried forward) any option that got me in trouble?

Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

read.