[Israel.pm] Parallel jobs

Issac Goldstand margol at beamartyr.net
Mon Jun 8 22:46:37 PDT 2009

Yossi's right.  Solaris's perl (and the one in Coolstack) come without
threads (Sun says they're still too experimental), unlike almost every
other vendor distribution which does have thread support by default.  We
ended up compiling our own Perl to get around this.

Note that ActivePerl (IIRC) has thread support in Solaris
out-of-the-box.  (The reason we didn't use this is because we would have
had to compile Net::SSLeay ourselves, and we decided we'd rather compile
everything ourselves if we had to touch compilers already).  We ran
benchmarks, and IIRC our Perl actually came out ahead, though not by much.

  Yitzchak