[Israel.pm] Monthly OSDC meetings in the morning hours?

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:10:22 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Roey Almog (Infoneto Ltd) wrote:
> Too much to do in 24hours
>
> Maybe online free conference ?
>
> We all tech people so it is kind of obvious, no ?
>
> We need some kind online computer display that the presnter will use
> to display slide, demos etc to all the participants and fullduplex
> voip so every body can talk at onece...
>
> May be some kind of virual sits with name that light when one you talk.

Both TeamSpeak and Ventrilo support large number of participants
talking using VOIP and their display will show you who is talking at a
given moment. I don't think however you really want *everybody* to
talk at the same time, just like a face-to-face meeting that means it
is hard to hear anyone :)
However hosted TS/Vent servers cost money, so your "free online
conference" will not be so free...
If you limit the group to 10 people I think Skype supports conference
calls for up to 10 people, and Skype is free. However I seem to recall
some Perl monger meetings with over 10 people, and adding people/talks
from other languages would probably mean this limit  would be too
restrictive.

As for interactive slides, that should be much easier. At least for
slides, there is more than one solution out there, e.g. Google Docs
allows you to share a presentation with other people as both
contributors and viewers.
Interactive demos I am not sure about, I guess it depends on what you
are talking about - demo-ing Perl (or Ruby or Python) command-line
applications is probably different problem from demo-ing some
web-based technology, e.g. a JavaScript or AJAX demo. I'm guessing you
would have to solve this on a case-by-case basis.

Offer Kaye