[Israel.pm] Number of Indentation Levels in Ruby and Perl

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jun 1 13:47:41 PDT 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 14:34:13 Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 01 Jun 2009 13:23:53 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Shlomi Fish observed that Ruby scripts use much more indentation levels
> > > than scripts and programs written in other languages.
> >
> > Either that, or the relatively small number of indentation levels does
> > not allow writing too much code in a Ruby line to accommodate for the
> > extra shortness of the line.
>
> There is also the third logical possibility that sounds more likely for
> me than these two. A number of spaces in someone's coding style (the
> basis of your entire argument) is not fixed and personal, and as such is
> orthogonal to other issues.

I don't understand. I'm using the same indent-width in both Ruby and Perl and
noticed that while in Perl it has mostly been sufficient - in Ruby I got code
that was too indented and had to be rethought.

So my issue still stands.

> P.S. Does not netiquete ask not to initiate carbon-copies to multiple
> mailing lists, since most of the participants are not subscribed to all
> lists, and usually one group can't technically hear the other group? :)

Don't know. I sent this thread to both Perl-IL and Ruby-IL because it concerns
both languages.