[Israel.pm] PDL or Matlab?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jun 1 04:04:59 PDT 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 09:02:29 Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Back a few months ago we had a discussion that brought up Matlab:
> http://mail.perl.org.il/pipermail/perl/2009-March/010213.html
>
> It is not the first time Matlab is mentioned here and we also had
> mentions of PDL.
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/PDL/
>
> I wonder if someone with background in either or both of those tools could
> give me ideas in comparing the two ?

I worked with Matlab for my Technion homework. As a language, from the
programming language design aspect, it is pretty limited, and also has a very
limited debugger (without even conditional breakpoints). But I was impressed
from the power that its bulk-tensor operations give to an engineer. Many
students did not take the time to learn it properly, and just used loops all
over the place, but I took the time to learn the true Matlab way.

I worked with PDL a little and also wrote an extension for it. It seems
impressive and usable, but like Roey said, its scope is much smaller than
Matlab's. If you just need bulk operations on numeric tensors, then it would
still be usable, naturally.

Because PDL is based on Perl 5, the core language is much better and much more
usable than Matlab.

If you're looking for a free Matlab-compatible (but still incomplete)
replacement look at GNU Octave.