[Israel.pm] FW: FW: check if hash is defined - without the keys

Avishalom Shalit avishalom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 06:02:02 PST 2009

i really really recommend the perldoc pages.
"perldoc perltoc" may be a good place to start

i think that you would really find it useful to study the "context"
aspect of perl
try answering these

1) what do you get when you evaluate a list in hash context ? (how
about the other way around?)
2) what do you get when you evaluate a hash in scalar context?

---
 as for your first question ,
i am not sure why you don't like the idea of looping or why a warning
is better than an explicit check .

---
perldoc -f grep
perldoc -f keys

2009/1/22 bc.other <bc.other at gmail.com>:
> OK, found that I can use the if (%tvc or %tvw) with use strict / warnings it
> works (no need for defined function).
> I understood it returns a value ? but can anyone tell me what this value
> represent ?
>
> I tried this code:
> my %tvc = (1 10);
> my $sc = %tvc;
>
> print $sc; --> printing 1/8 (does it means 1 key, 8 bytes) ?
> Thanks
> Chanan

-- vish