[Israel.pm] Downloading using LWP

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 07:14:32 PST 2009

(this is kinda long, sorry)

I honestly don't know what you're complaining about. Did you get
offended that people offered you advices?

When I started learning Perl (and actually even a long while after), I
still knew very little. My progress was slow because I did not have
the benefit of other people's experience. These days I subscribe to
mailing lists (like this), RSS feeds, read articles and talk to
developers as much as I can. Every mistake they point out to me is a
gem of experience that I'm getting for free!

When someone tells me "look, you could also do THIS better" even
though I didn't ask about it, he is being more helpful to me than the
person who answered my question only, because he is giving me EXTRA
knowledge which I don't have. He is helping me. I should (and try to)
be more grateful to the people who spend extra time to teach me extra
things.

I'm sorry you saw it as people correcting you too much. You should
know that in most beginner forums and mailing lists split into two:
1 Those that give you a very detailed view of problems, where they
come from and every answer is so long you feel like dying already.
2. Those that just answer your question, you've learned very little
and your other skills do not get better

This mailing list provides you with answers and tries to help you
improve your other Perl skills so you could be an even better
programmer.

Don't be offended, we love you and we want to help you with everything :)