[Israel.pm] Downloading using LWP

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Wed Feb 18 02:49:25 PST 2009

What Avishalom and Mikhael said.

Note that it's worthwhile checking close as well: in some cases, e.g.
disk full errors, you might only get the error then.

While we're at it, consider the following two tips as well. They're
unlikely to be related to your current issue but may help you in the
future:

1. Use lexical filehandles.

"FILE" is a global. You can "open my $fh, ..." instead, and $fh
becomes lexically scoped.

2. Use 3-arg open.

open my $fh, ">", $filename or die "open: $filename: $!";

is better than open my $fh, ">$filename". This is even more
significant in opens intended for reads. If your $filename
unexpectedly starts with a ">" or starts/ends with a "|", for example,
bad things can happen. The 3-arg form avoids those bad things.

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/