[Israel.pm] Displaying bidi text in re (e.g. in the editor).

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Sun Feb 8 04:44:49 PST 2009

On 08 Feb 2009 09:15:10 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> On 08 Feb 2009 09:09:59 +0200, Amit Aronovitch wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible that, at least in part, this is because current
> > implementations of bidi display ignore the syntactical context, so would
> > cause strange results (e.g. appear to break the syntax) - which are more
> > confusing than disabling the whole thing altogether?
>
> Can you please be more specific, why do you think that disabling bidi
> altogether may be more confusing, i.e. "cause strange results and appear
> to break the syntax", if you can clearly see the logical character order?

Sorry, it seems I misread your answer here. We both agree that disabling
bidi altogether is less problematic. However my other points about
disabling the whole mechanism of combining (and shaping used to render
Arabic and some other scripts) for Unicode characters in this "developer
mode" still remain. IMO this solves many problems you started with.

Regards,
Mikhael.