[Israel.pm] Displaying bidi text in re (e.g. in the editor).

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Feb 1 11:07:29 PST 2009

I'm not saying Perl 6 _will_ make this easier, but that it _could_.
Unicode identifiers are going to be, ah, amusing to maintain. The
notion of a bidi quote mark, though, is only possible because the
language is flexible. On the other hand, Larry's vision on the matter
is that sooner or later, the environment will just have to catch up.

Regarding Nikkud, the only fixed-width font I know that does this well
is Courier New. But be aware that whatever the font, there is a
canonical order you just have to learn for combining characters: if
you get it wrong and your editor doesn't help you (and I'm not aware
that any editor does), you get misplaced vocalization marks. (Think of
a leftie Sin with dagesh and vowel.)

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/