[Israel.pm] Displaying bidi text in re (e.g. in the editor).

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:49:27 PST 2009

2009/2/1 Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Following a discussion I took part in about standartization of the
> display of Hebrew text in structured expressions and source code, I
> would be happy to hear some opinions about how we would like regular
> expressions containing bidi chars to be displayed (in an "ideal
> editor" that is fully syntax aware).

I just keep all my non-ASCII strings in a separate UTF8 file and load
it some time in the beginning. (I usually use a stupid tab-separated
file and put it in a hash; i've been telling myself to try gettext or
MakeText for years.)

Even Latin based non ASCII characters (Catalan or Lithuanian, for
example) give a lot of troubles. Hebrew is worse. Worse than Hebrew
are Arabic and Thai. I don't expect this to become easier any time
soon, not even with Perl 6.

Bidirectionality is just the tip of the iceberg. Here's a problem that
few Hebrew speakers probably considered: Unlike most people, i often
work with Hebrew text with niqqud, and niqqud is supposed to be
combined with the letters. But the actual fonts support it badly, so
code cannot be displayed nicely; and that is quite unacceptable.

The only solution - keep all the strings in a separate file.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com