[Israel.pm] Perl PR in Israel [was Booking.com in Hebrew ]

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 04:37:55 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Roey Almog (Infoneto Ltd)
<almog at infoneto.co.il> wrote:
> Gabor Hi,

sorry for taking such a long time to answer but only now I have
something to say.

> I found it hard to explain why Perl -
>
> The truth - we do not use PR in Israel (In the world I see that things
> started to change)
>
> We do not create buzz
>
> What we need is much more then booking.com

I have been trying to get some reaction from the people on the list but
I don't seem to be able to generate much enthusiasm.
What do you suggest?

> Have a look at perl.org.il - "On Sunday, 27 July 2008 (at 18:30),
> there will be a meeting of OSDClub Tel Aviv." - 2008 ????? wow no one
> use Perl ins Israel last meeting was in 2008

After a long period of time that I was afraid of the move today I finally
took a deep breath and moved the perl.org.il website to the new server
uniting again
the location of the web server and the SVN server. This means we can
start to update
the site again.  The DNS update might take a few hours - but once it
is done if you
visit http://perl.org.il/  you will already see a new entry on the main page.

We will need to clean up the cruft on the website. Your suggestions
and help would be
much appreciated.

> I think that I and anyone else here is to blame - we do not spend time
> doing what is needed to sell Perl to the Israeli market we let .NET to
> rule supreme (and for many cases for the wrong reasons,  sometimes let
> admit it it is better suited).
>
> Maybe we need to create something like the Israel Perl Foundation find
> some sponsors and start
> updating things on regular basis -

> 1. Perl.org.il - new updated design and content
> 2. Free workshops for beginners to show the potential - I did in my
> company for new programmers used to Java & C# and the where left with
> mouth opened when they so that Perl is so easy.
> 3. PR - lot of PR - CTO's IT managers, R&D ,managers must see we exists

Which company would you sponsor such activity and why?

> Now all this cannot be done by volunteers - we need funding

Why do you think so and how much funding do you think we need?
What things would you like to do that costs money?

> I wrote this as I think without thinking to much ( :- )  ) so feel
> free changing and adding but something should be done !

No problem, I hope you had some time to think about this since then
and have further ideas.