[Israel.pm] preferred way for installing CPAN modules?

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Mon Dec 28 05:53:30 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:15, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How are you installing modules?
>
> When possible - through apt-get.
>
> When not possible:
>
> $ cpan
> cpan> install Module:Name
> (This fails, because i always forget the second colon)
> cpan> install Module::Name
> (downloading. At this point i am usually asked whether it's OK to
> connect to the Internet. I wish i could tell it to always connect, but
> i can't find how to do it in the docs. Maybe i'm stupid.)
> (installing dependencies. At this point i am usually asked whether
> it's OK to install dependencies. I wish i could tell it to always
> install dependencies, but i can't find how to do it in the docs. Maybe
> i'm stupid.)
> (making)
> (preparing coffee)
> (testing)
> (reading RSS)
> (testing)
> (correcting spelling mistakes in Wikipedia)
> (testing)
> (considering whether i should finally start to prepare university homework)
> (testing)
>
> There are two possible endings:
>
> 1. Installation fails because of a failed test and i report this to
> the module's author, and if my motivation to try out the module is
> still high, i try to force-install it.
>
> 2. Installation fails because i don't have permissions and i repeat
> the procedure with
>
> $ sudo cpan
>
> That's, more or less, my usual routine.

You can make things a little better by:

sudo chown -R $USER ~/.cpan
cpan
o conf make_install_make_command "sudo make"
o conf mbuild_install_build_command "sudo ./Build"
o conf commit

Now you run CPAN as yourself and install as root.

Alternatively, install things in your homedir, I think there have been
efforts to make that work better than it used to in the good old
5.005_03 and 5.6 days.

Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/