[Israel.pm] preferred way for installing CPAN modules?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Dec 28 00:30:40 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:15, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> How are you installing modules?

When possible - through apt-get.

When not possible:

$ cpan
cpan> install Module:Name
(This fails, because i always forget the second colon)
cpan> install Module::Name
(downloading. At this point i am usually asked whether it's OK to
connect to the Internet. I wish i could tell it to always connect, but
i can't find how to do it in the docs. Maybe i'm stupid.)
(installing dependencies. At this point i am usually asked whether
it's OK to install dependencies. I wish i could tell it to always
install dependencies, but i can't find how to do it in the docs. Maybe
i'm stupid.)
(making)
(preparing coffee)
(testing)
(reading RSS)
(testing)
(correcting spelling mistakes in Wikipedia)
(testing)
(considering whether i should finally start to prepare university homework)
(testing)

There are two possible endings:

1. Installation fails because of a failed test and i report this to
the module's author, and if my motivation to try out the module is
still high, i try to force-install it.

2. Installation fails because i don't have permissions and i repeat
the procedure with

$ sudo cpan

That's, more or less, my usual routine.

Do i like it? Actually, yes, but i know a lot of people who think that
it's terrible and they are quite right.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni