[Israel.pm] Helping Perl a little

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Dec 21 05:37:02 PST 2009

Hi Gabor and all!

On Monday 21 Dec 2009 09:31:35 Gabor Szabo wrote:
> When I mention to people that they could also easily give back to the
> Perl community they often tell me they have no code to contribute or that
> their employer won't allow to share their code.
>
> So here is a totally different way to give back to the Perl community.
>
> DMOZ - The Open Directory Project is a hierarchical list of many web pages
> use by all the major search engines to enhance their site.
>
> Listing more Perl related sites in the directory will improve their
>  position on the search engines and people will be able to find those sites
>  more easily.
>
> I recently looked at it and could not find Padre, nor many other major
> Perl related links.
>
> So if you can spare a few minutes a day, you could help the Perl
> community by becoming
> and editor of DMOZ and then adding many of the missing links.
>
> DMOZ: http://www.dmoz.org/

OK, here are my 20 agoroth as a former DMoz editor (including of

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/FAQs,_Help,_and_Tutorials/

I've written about my experience with DMoz.org and the obstacles I ran into
when trying to contribute to them here:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-October/055734.html

In this I made a request-for-comments for a more open directory with a better
interface, and also mention the licence of dmoz.org which has been declared
non-free by the FSF.

It would be a noble goal to contribute to dmoz.org , but I gave up (after a
long time of feeling guilty that I didn't contribute enough and setting up
periodic reminders to edit it) due to the bad interface and its usability and
the relatively great amount of red tape and acceptance process involved in
getting permissions to edit more stuff. I think there's a need for a change -
hopefully from within dmoz.org, but as a last resort - from outside.