[Israel.pm] Perl 5.6 on Win32 is falling off the map

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:21:21 PST 2009

I tried to keep silent on this as last time when I talked about the
issue of upgrade I was painted as having personal agenda.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org> wrote:
> If you're torn personally and want 5.6 to die, don't tell any of the
> above to the company. If you want your project to succeed on that
> platform too, do.

I would use this as an opportunity to build a cost/benefit analysis.
After all it is more likely that the company will decide to upgrade to a
newer perl if the cost and risk of that is lower than benefit or lower than
the cost and risk of NOT upgrading.

The first thing I would to is to generate a report - based on the data
from the CPANtesters
showing what percentage of CPAN can be used with your perl and if you
can use an older
version of the module then how old those versions are.

Then you can explain that this is partially due to the lack of test reports
and get time and machine allocated to start to generate those test reports
to make it easier and possible for you to decide if you can use a module or not
or which is the most recent version of a module that you will be able to use on
your system.

Once you have the smoker up and running for some time you can generate
your report again to see the improvement in reporting.

That would be the first step I think on the way to show the benefit of
upgrading.