[Israel.pm] nmake problem

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Dec 9 15:02:49 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 00:50, Roey Almog (Infoneto Ltd)
<almog at infoneto.co.il> wrote:
> Hi,
> Actually to work with CPAN modules using ActiveSate all you need is a
> C Compiler. Visual C++ will do the trick
> It has both nmake and C compiler, There is a free version for it
> (Visual C++ Express).

It doesn't always work from my experience.

And some CPAN modules unfortunately need more than a C compiler. I
encountered a module that needs awk, for example. There is awk for
Windows and most likely it can be used with ActivePerl, but i find it
much easier to install on Cygwin. Didn't try it on Strawberry.

And there was also one module that needed a FORTRAN compiler,
something related to PDL. Yet again, a FORTRAN compiler is much easier
to install in a Unix-like environment.

And sometimes you need libraries, like libhunspell or libreadline.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, that's why they call it "flavor".

> Anyway ActiveState has something called PPM that enables you to
> install pre-packaged/compiled Perl CPAN modules.  from our experience
> if you cannot find a ready made PPM package for a module chances are
> you will not be able to use it on Win32.

... Or that ActiveState didn't bother to pack a version of it for PPM,
even though it could have been easily installed on Windows even
without a C compiler. That's how the things were, when i last tried to
run PPM in 2007. Maybe it improved since then.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com