[Israel.pm] nmake problem

Roey Almog (Infoneto Ltd) almog at infoneto.co.il
Wed Dec 9 14:50:19 PST 2009

Hi,
Actually to work with CPAN modules using ActiveSate all you need is a
C Compiler. Visual C++ will do the trick
It has both nmake and C compiler, There is a free version for it
(Visual C++ Express).

Anyway ActiveState has something called PPM that enables you to
install pre-packaged/compiled Perl CPAN modules.  from our experience
if you cannot find a ready made PPM package for a module chances are
you will not be able to use it on Win32.
There are several PPM repositories more info
here:http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=PPM_Repositories

Regarding differences between Strawberry & AcitveState:

ActiveState provide commercial support and some very interesting tools
(PerlApp, PerlSvc PerlNET etc...) and try to make things simple (need
a module just point and click....)

Strawberry try to provide Win32 Perl programmers with UNIX Perl look
and feel (make, make test, make install.... more or less)

We use ActiveState mainly because of their ASPN subscription (online
books, tools, IDE etc...)

Roey