[Israel.pm] Best perl IDE (including debugger)

Roey Almog (Infoneto Ltd) almog at infoneto.co.il
Wed Dec 2 04:04:36 PST 2009

Hi,

Couple we did a survey for this the best IDE was Komodo - it works (it
has some quirks though).
Currently we use Komodo for all our regular Perl development. It is
not free but it works well enough for us to invest money buying
licenses. It is actively maintained and support other languages too.

Opti Perl was second best however the trial version was too limited
for real trial but what we did tried was quit well, however the last
version is from February 2008...

I used Open Perl IDE  it is free and very easy for beginners but not
actively developed any more - see sourceforge

I tried EPIC couple of years ago but it was not working well enough -
some time the debugger worked some times not...

For online debugging of CGI scripts we use PTKDB (see CPAN) it so easy
and light weight

Padre seems promising, but the debugger is show stopper here.

Roey