[Israel.pm] Best perl IDE (including debugger)

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 02:32:07 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Yossi Itzkovich
<Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you consider the best IDE for Perl ? I would like to hear your opinion for a free one also.
> My parameters:  Good code editor that "knows" perl,  Debugger (with GUI).
>
> What do you say ?

What, no one has any opinion on this?

When I asked what is your favorite IDE/Editor for Perl I got tons of responses.
Here are the results of the stats:  http://perlide.org/poll200911/

The situations is that many people use vim/emacs or some programmers
editor on windows
such as notepad++. None of these have a debugger in it. Some people use perl -d
for debugging, others use Devel::ptkdb which is actually quite nice.

Then there is Eclipse+EPIC which is an IDE and it has debugger for
Perl and if that
is your requirement then this is the most advanced thing you can get.
The problems with it
is that the development of EPIC is stalled and if you would like to
contribute you need to
do that in Java.

Komodo of ActiveState also has those features but it costs money
(the free version does not have the debugger).

And then there is Padre. It still does not have a working debugger in
it, so it might not fit your
requirements yet but it is developing nicely and has several good
features the other two IDEs
don't have. It is written in Perl, so you can easily contribute to it
and maybe even add the
debugger. http://padre.perlide.org/

Of course I am slightly biased ;-)

Gabor