[Israel.pm] gzip / gunzip

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes sthoenna at efn.org
Sun Apr 12 01:13:07 PDT 2009

On Sat, April 11, 2009 11:07 pm, Berler Chanan wrote:
> Hi All,
> Does anyone have a perl script doing zip / unzip files ?
> I need to deploy files into hosts over the net, and wanted it to be zipped
> before I can send it. (Don't wanna use system gzip / zip to do it,
> because I don't know if there is the same utill on the host). I tried
> looking for Archive::Zlib for help, but it works only for x files only (no
> subdirectories).

Do you want it to be zipped for compression, or for packaging of multiple
files into one?

What kind of deployment exactly are you doing?

I'd guess you may want to look at Archive::Tar.  Or you may want to not
bother packaging your files at all, but instead use Net::SFTP or
Net::SSH2::SFTP to transfer your files directly into their deployed
locations.