[Israel.pm] help with vi-mode of Padre

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 02:22:27 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > In Padre I started to add a plugin to allow the user to have vi-style
> > key bindings.
> >
> > I can try to implement every keystroke vi has but that's a lot of work
> > and it might
> > not be necessary for the most of us. you know the 20/80 rule.
>
> I don't intend to discourage you, but "Joel on Software" said something
> important about the "80/20 rule":
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000020.html

I don't think I can disagree more with Joel on this subject.
I don't consider the 80/20 rule as the best practice or what you
should do in every state, but I particularly didn't like the article.
It demonstrated misrepresentation of facts, and fudges several others
to form improbable conclusions.

Sorry, but after reading this, $joel_on_software--;

And I definitely think that when it comes to Vi{,m} mode in Padre, the
80/20 should be applied.