[Israel.pm] help with vi-mode of Padre

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:19:09 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>> In Padre I started to add a plugin to allow the user to have vi-style
>> key bindings.
>>
>> I can try to implement every keystroke vi has but that's a lot of work
>> and it might
>> not be necessary for the most of us. you know the 20/80 rule.
>
> I don't intend to discourage you, but "Joel on Software" said something
> important about the "80/20 rule":
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000020.html

The good thing about Joel is that he has written about everything already.

>> So I'd like to ask for help from the local vi users.
>>
>> Please check out the trunk of Padre from SVN
>> http://svn.perlide.org/padre/trunk/
>>
>> install all the prerequisites and try using the vi plugin.
>> (Currently it is still in the main tree of Padre)
>>
>> Every time you encounter a key that you'd like to use
>> and does not work in Padre, let me know.
>> I'll try to implement it ASAP ...
>> ...so you can find me more.
>>

> I can try, but I can warn you that I've been using Vim for many years now, and
> am using a relatively large subset of its functionality. Probably not close
> to 20% of it (because vim really has a lot of functionality), but still
> enough to make your work unfocused.

Try me.

Give me the *first* 5 or 10 keys you find missing from the Padre vi
implementation.
Try the SVN trunk version as it is several light years (ok, 2 days)
ahead of the latest
released 0.18

But don't search for things that are missing, I can do that myself.
Just start using it and let me know what you missed.