[Israel.pm] JavaScript's Grip of the Day: Formatting Dates

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Nov 25 12:50:39 PST 2008

As I was working on a new Greasemonkey script today, I needed a way to parse
the date from a string, and format it into DD-MM-YYYY. Parsing the date
turned out to be easy:

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Date#Methods

However, now I wanted to find a way to format it. I landed on this post:

http://blog.stevenlevithan.com/archives/date-time-format

As it turns out, JavaScript has no built-in method equivalent to strftime(),
and this post supplies an alternative. So I thought to myself: no problem -
I'll just use sprintf. But, lo and behold - no sprintf for us:

http://www.google.com/search?q=javascript%20sprintf

So I bit the bullet and copy-and-pasted the date-time-format code into my
script. The format supported by it is not strftime()-compatible, but rather
something like ColdFusion. And the script now works.

But I'm really surprised that JavaScript doesn't even have something like
sprintf. That's really lame.

"Humanity" - Parody of Modern Life - http://xrl.us/bkeut

fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam