[Israel.pm] Building your resume

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 00:41:46 PST 2008

People often ask me why do I and others write Open Source
code and why should they do so?

Besides it being fun one of the answers I give is that people can
build their resume with such activity.

It is especially important for beginners who don't yet have years of
experience. Who cannot point to previous employers who will
recommend them.

That means students, or people in their first job can benefit a lot.
Also if you have been in a company for several years when
next time you go and try to find a job who are you going to ask
for recommendation? Your current employer?
Your previous one where you worked 3-4-5 years ago?
Neither is really good.

So writing open source code might be a good way to show your expertise.
So should you start a new project? You don't need to do that.
The best I think is to find an existing project and to start to contribute.

I have not used Ohloh earlier but now that I registered, it looks like a nice
tool to collect your contributions to various projects and get some
overall rating.

http://szabgab.com/blog/2008/10/1225176511.html
https://www.ohloh.net/

So I'd recommend everyone here to start contributing to an open source project
and if you did so, register on Ohloh and "claim" your commits.