[Israel.pm] Perl vs. Ruby on Two Idioms

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:28:24 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Jason Elbaum <jason.elbaum at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why are people so obsessed with the "clarity" of such small scopes?
>
> Because maintenance programmers have to read and understand every line
> of code they touch, even if they're rusty in the idioms of the
> language. Every time they have to mentally unpack obscure syntax, it
> slows them down and increases the chances of error. Clear code is
> better than compact code.
>

> Like I said, it depends on the level of Perl experience you can safely
> assume from the developers.

There are various levels of knowledge for every programming language.
I don't know Ruby well enough to comment on it but
Is every expression in Ruby so clear that someone with only few days of
learning could understand everything?

In Perl, would you let someone maintain a piece of code who does not
know what $ means?
What about a person who does not know what is the relation between
$x and $x[1] ?

I am sure there is some minimal level of knowledge you would expect from
a maintenance programmer.
If so, then the only question of what level of knowledge do you expect.

One aspect of Perl is that while its learning curve is gentle it is
also very long.

It might take a long time to turn someone into a knowledgeable Perl programmer
but then s/he has a big vocabulary to express ideas.

I don't know how does it compare to Ruby but one thing I am quite sure.
If we keep bashing each others language then we all loose.

Gabor
   after YAPC::NA is over but still in the US

--
Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/blog.html
Test Automation Tips http://szabgab.com/test_automation_tips.html