[Israel.pm] RFC: The "Random Tweakers" Mission Statement

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Jun 4 09:12:08 PDT 2008

Hi all!

(Re-sent from Hackers-IL).

I wrote about my idea for an innovative startup previously here:

Well, since then I've changed my views, and so expressed my philosophy in the
following:

*
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/software-management/perfect-workplace/

(click the "/" folder for an HTML view. Please don't print the .pdf, even
though you are allowed to.)

* http://www.shlomifish.org/random-tweakers/about/ - this is a mission
statement for a new company I'm planning on materialising in the upcoming
weeks (after I take some time to relax from my hypomania). At the moment, I
only have a domain ( random-tweakers.com ) and this document, but I hope more
will follow.

The purpose of random-tweakers is to realise the perfect workplace by working
on innovative and interesting FOSS.

Perl is not mentioned there yet, but I'm planning to use it as our primary
development environment. That's because:

1. It is superb technology.

2. It has a great and healthy community.

3. There are many Perl-mongers out there who work witih technologies they
don't like as much as Perl, and can easily be hired.

4. While not the most hyped technology, it still has a huge and high-quality
mind-share.

5. CPAN, CPAN, CPAN.

6. It gets the job done, and is a no-nonsense language.

7. I feel it is going to make a comeback, and also plan to help with that.

8. [Insert your favourite reason here].

In any case - comments are welcome.

My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not
work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.